6. Support for you the carer > Emergency situations

Emergency situations

1) Emergency – if you are ill

You should consider what you would do in an emergency or if you are delayed or become unwell and need to get replacement care arranged quickly.

Health information

  • NHS 24 telephone 111
  • Your GP
  • Local minor injuries clinic
  • 999 for emergencies which require paramedical or medical intervention
  • Local pharmacy for advice about medication

Social care

  • Local Authority Social Work team
  • Out of hours emergency team
  • Some local authorities will have a dedicated emergency contact number

You can ask for a carer and a needs assessment from your local authority. This can include an emergency plan agreed in advance so that you can have peace of mind and the local authority will have all the information they need to make necessary arrangements.

Informal help

  • Ask family and friends if they are willing to help if you have an emergency