Employers can refuse your request if:
- There is an additional cost burden for the employer.
- The employer is unable to recruit staff to replace the change of hours in your job.
- The employer is unable to reorganise from existing staff to change hours in your job.
- Change impacts badly on the productivity of your job.
- Change impacts badly on the quality of your job.
- Change impacts badly on the performance of your job.
- If there are structural changes within the organisation.
If your request is refused you have a right to appeal. At this stage you should seek advice either from within your work such as union representative or human resources or externally from your local citizen’s advice office, carer organisation or carer advocacy service. ACAS (Advisory, Conciliation and Arbitration Service) has an advice line on 08457 47 47 47.
For more information see Carers UK website. Supporting working carers – a carer’s guide and Carers and Employment a guide to the right to request flexible working both are available to download.