If the person has a fall at home it can be frightening for them and you. There are things you can do at home to try to prevent falls.
Rollover the warning signs
Things that can help prevent falls
- Ensuring a safe environment by reducing trip hazards such as rugs.
- De-cluttering to make extra space, where possible, for walking aids.
- Ensuring that things are close at hand so that they won’t have to overreach.
- If they can be left alone but are potentially at risk of falls then make sure they have everything they need nearby (phone; remote control; walking aid; food; drink etc) and consider if they need to go to the toilet prior to being left alone.
- Keeping as active as possible helps to prevent falls. The therapist may give an exercise programme to do at home.
- Keeping warm can help older people in particular as they tend to move less and cold muscles are less able to perform well.